Monday, February 20, 2006

Composting

In a comment on a blog I stumbled upon this wonderful site.

Naomi talks about composting with red worms in her apartment in NYC.

I am so impressed. Here, on my block, in a fairly well to do town, we are the only ones who have a compost pile. We have had it since the day we moved in - almost 30 years ago. We have the best dirt in the world if I can say so. But the best part is how little goes out in our garbage can. We have one can allocated to us. It maybe has one bag a week in it. My neighbor always uses it when hers gets filled. I said ok when she asked if she could use it. At the same time, I suggested that recylcing would eliminated her problem altogether. She ignored that. She even puts leaves in it!!

I just don't understand it. I though that the current generation and the boomers, who grew up hearing the words ecology and recycling would be totally into this but they are not.

Friends think it is "cute" that I have a bowl by the sink where all vegetable matter goes. No, there is no smell.

And don't get me started on drying clothes outdoors. I have my original clothes dryer as I hardly ever use it and never do once March is here. In this dry hot climate where we live, my clothes dry in less than an hour! And did I mention how clean they smell? Life is good.

And read the rest of Naomi's site. Knitting and crafts also add meaning to her life - and to mine.

3 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger annie said...

mmmm.... i suspect it's a lot easier to dry clothes out of doors in the desert than in the southeastern US....

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Mary said...

All the more reason my neighbors should be doing this!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site. I've seen the Amish in Wisconsin drying clothes outside in single digit weather. Hard to believe it would even work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home