Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving

For the last 10 years we have had Thanksgiving with friends. Usually it has been at our house and we have had others over who, like us, live far away from family. I remember special times with Pat, with our Australian friend Al, with Cathy and Kar Wei - both from Malaysia. Last year we spent the holiday with Chinese friends at their house. I am always so thankful for many wonderful friends.

This year I turned down an invitation hoping that we would just get away. I would have liked to have seen our son who lives about 300 miles away but the mountain pass is very dangerous with rock slides right now and even the governor has started urging people not to use it. So yesterday - faced with the holiday here - I asked some others over. So far at least one person is coming so we won't be alone.

But I am still lonely at this time of year. I miss our sons and the grandchildren. I miss my mother-in-law who will be enjoying the day in Pa where she lives. I miss my sister Sandra who lives in Georgia. She will spend the day with her boyfriend. And I miss my other sister, Kathleen, who lives in Florida with a lady who has been generous enough over the years to provide a home for her. Kathleen has had many problems and has what I would say is a borderline personality disorder (BPD). And I feel guilty I have been unable to provide her with the emotional support and caring that I feel called on to do. Families can be a joy and sometimes a burden. And the holidays bring all that out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home