Thursday, November 17, 2005

Working in Retirement

I was talking to a friend tonight who has gone back to work part-time in elementary school administration. She was saying how it helps to make her feel she is doing something worthwhile. Although I did not take it personally, it certainly gave me pause to think about whether what I am doing is worthwhile. Lots of jobs are not worthwhile to me and so for now I am content not to work for pay. I do volunteer whenever I can at things I think are important.

Today I made a meatloaf early in the morning while my husband was at his machine shop class. Then I did my yoga - some simple exercises that have been great at keeping me flexible. After that I prepared a financial statement for a group where I am the secretary/treasurer. Then I thought it was time to get back to my Spanish grammar book - which I did for an hour. By then it was time for Spanish class. Finished that, came home and did my run along the river. It is easy to find things to fill one's day. And I rarely vacuum or clean (and yes I should). I have a long to do list which never gets done.

So back to wondering about working again. I am a person who worked since she was 12! So in one sense this is a fun time but can't get rid of the nagging thought that I need something worthwhile (ie. $$) to do. I am sure this will pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home