Sunday, November 27, 2005

Dancing


Last night we went dancing. We usually go at least once a week. I think this is an activity that a lot of retired people take up. Actually we have always enjoyed dancing. I still have a "dance card" from a dance in 1962 that featured Dave Brubeck's band.

When we were taking lessons a number of years ago we had an instructor that insisted that you change partners although he guaranteed he would send you home with who you came with! We found that changing partners was the best way to learn, learning leading and following, and to just have fun. And when we go out dancing we have found a whole new set of friends both single and married. It takes me a while to get my dancing shoes on and in that time my husband has gotten in several dances. Often I dance with young men and I think they feel less intimidated - the pressure is off to impress.

The one thing that I think is great about dancing is that it is a socially acceptable way to get close to others. Whether you are married or single that is important.

What kind of dancing do we do? Swing is my favorite especially West Coast Swing. In the West Coast Swing you can flirt and play a little. And there are so many moves, one can never be bored. We also like Latin dances because there is movement. And a good slow dance is soooooooo nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home